Tsp 75 Form

A TSP 75 form is used with Thrift Savings Plans (TSPs). TSPs are special retirement accounts only available to federal employees, members of the military, and their families. This form is also known as an Age-Based In-Service Withdrawal Request. It can only be used by someone who is over the age of 59 1/2 years and who is still a government employee. This form must be notarized before it is submitted for approval.

What is a TSP 75?

This form is used for Thrift Savings Plans, which are special financial accounts for people who are federal employees, members of the Armed Forces, or an immediate family member of these parties. The TSP-75 form is an Age-Based In-Service Withdrawal Request. Someone who is over the age of 59 and a half and still employed by the federal government can use this form to request a withdrawal of funds from their Thrift Savings Plan.
This form will require personal information so the account can be identified. This includes your full name, date of birth, and account number. The next section will detail your withdrawal request, including the amount you wish to withdraw and how you want to receive it. You can use direct deposit if you wish. For this option, include the information about the banking account you want the money to be transferred to. This form will need to be signed and notarized before it is completed.

Most Common Uses

A TSP-75 is commonly used by federal employees who are at least 59½ years of age and would like to make an age-based, in-service TSP withdrawal.

Eligibility Rules

You can only withdraw funds in which you are vested.  The amount of your age-based withdrawals must be at least $1,000 or your entire vested account balance if your balance is less than $1,000.

You may only take one age-based withdrawal during the time you are actively employed in Federal service or as a member of the uniformed services.

Components of a TSP 75

A TSP-75 contains the following sections:

  • Information About You
  • Withdrawal Request
  • Transfer Election
  • Direct Deposit Information
  • Additional Tax Withholding
  • Certification and Notarization
  • Married FERS and Uniformed Services Participants
  • Married CSRS Participants
  • Your Transfer Election for Traditional Balance
  • Transfer Information for Traditional Balance
  • Transfer Election for Roth Balance
  • Transfer Information for Roth Balance

Legal Considerations

Consequences of age based withdrawals

Age-based withdrawals are subject to Federal income tax.  They may also be subject to state income tax.

Tax-exempt or Roth contributions that are included in your withdrawal are not subject to Federal income tax.

If you make an age-based withdrawal, you will not be eligible to make a partial withdrawal from the same account after you leave service.

Tax considerations

Age-based withdrawal payments are considered eligible rollover distributions for Federal income tax purposes.  This means that they are subject to a mandatory 20% Federal income tax withholding.

Applying for your age based withdrawal

You can apply for your age-based withdrawal by logging in to your online account or by filling out a paper TSP-75 form.

Receiving your age based withdrawal

Your age-based withdrawal check will be mailed to the address in your TSP account.  If you are making a paper withdrawal request, you can request to have the amount electronically deposited into your checking or savings account.

It may take several weeks for the TSP to process your request and send you your payment.  To find out the status of your request, you can call the ThriftLine (1-TSP-YOU-FRST) or checking online at: https://www.tsp.gov/tsp/login.html. 

Download a PDF or Word Template

Sample Tsp 75


Sample Tsp 75

Create Tsp 75 Read Full Document