Form SS-4

Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number, is used by businesses wishing to be assigned a tax identification number that identifies them as an employer. When completed, this form is submitted to the IRS. If approved, the IRS will then issue an employer identification number (EIN) that the business will use with their tax returns.

What is a SS-4?

A Form SS-4 is also called an Application for Employer Identification Number. These forms are provided by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service and are related to tax reporting and filing purposes. The form will be used by employers, sole proprietors, corporations, estates, partnerships, and trusts. Using this form, these parties can request an EIN, or Employer Identification Number, a nine digit number that is required for tax filing and reporting.

In order to receive an Employer Identification Number, an employer must completely fill out this form. This includes the name and the address of the business or other entity. More detailed information about the entity will also be needed, as well as the reason for the new application for an EIN. The form must be signed and dated by the applicant before it can be sent to the IRS for approval and distribution of the number. 

Who needs a SS-4?

Any organization that needs an EIN and is filing for the taxpayer identification number for the first time needs a Form SS-4.  If you need an EIN for a sole proprietorship, non-profit, trust, partnership, corporation, or estate of a deceased individual, you need to fill out Form SS-4.

Why do you need a SS4?

Any organization that requires an EIN needs to fill out an SS-4.  EINs are assigned to organizations by the IRS to identify them for tax purposes.  You must fill out Form SS-4 if you do not have an EIN for your organization and it pays wages to any employee(s), you need an EIN for use on an IRS return or statement, you are required to withhold taxes on income that is not wages or income paid to a non-resident alien, or you are planning to file Schedule C (Profit or Loss From Business), Schedule F (Profit or Loss From Farming), or Form 1040 (US Individual Income Tax Return), and the IRS requires you to file employment, excise, tobacco, alcohol, firearms, or Keogh plan returns.

Download a PDF or Word Template

Sample Form SS-4


Sample Form SS-4

Create Form SS-4 Read Full Document